In the early 1870’s, William Slater founded and built a funeral home in Mt. Washington at the corner of Virginia and Kearsarge Avenues. In 1903, John Henry Slater, William’s oldest son, opened a funeral home at 228 Brownsville Road, in the borough of Mt. Oliver. At age 30, John became one of the area’s pioneer professional funeral directors.
In 1923, John’s son Herbert became the first of three sons to join the business. John H., Jr. and Arthur, two other sons, joined the business in 1930.
In April 1937, John Jr. and Herbert bought property in what is now Brentwood Borough (at the site of the former White Hall Tavern). In 1938, they formally opened the John H. Slater Sons Funeral Home. Herbert’s son, J.Fred, joined the business in 1948. By 1956, Herbert and John Jr. merged the Mount Oliver Funeral Home into the Brentwood business, where more modern facilities and on-site parking were available.
In 1972, the business was incorporated as the John F. Slater Funeral Home, Inc. Fred’s son John, and daughter Sherwyn, joined the business in 1976 and 1997, respectively. John's son, Andrew, has recently joined the firm, full time.
Today, the dedicated staff of the family-owned and operated John F. Slater Funeral Home continues to provide the same personal attention and care to families throughout the South Hills communities.